My First Art Journal Page: In Loving Memory of Barbara Jean Carlson

My Ex-Mother-In-Law Barb, or my "outlaw" (how she referred to herself), passed away on March 9th. She was such a fabulously beautiful woman inside and out. She was a woman of contradictions. She was really sweet, open, warm, petite and beautiful, but seemingly ten feet tall and so strong when she needed to be, feisty, sarcastic, smart, courageous, and witty...the list could go on and on. She will be missed by many as she was the type of person that left an impression and to those who were fortunate enough to get to know her she truly is unforgettable.   She may be gone but she will not be forgotten, she will live on in the memories of many. The funeral is tomorrow and I wanted to spend some time with my memories of her and make something special to celebrate those memories and her life and the end of her suffering. Rest In Peace, Barb, my outlaw.

I have wanted to try art journalling for a long time but, just haven't made time. I put off starting just like I kept thinking I could wait one more day to visit Barb. As I waited too long to pay a final visit to Barb, and she was an accomplished artist among many other talents, I thought I would stop procrastinating and get going with my first project using her as an inspiration. This is what I came up with.

I love the dress and the fact that the Tim Holtz stack actually had a text paper with the definition of memory! How absolutely perfect! I tried to accent (in red) the parts that really resonated with me!






I used:

bound journal with lined pages
Tim Holtz Distress Inks and blending tool (many different colors)
Water and Ranger mini mister to distress the inks (also splattered water drops by tapping wet brush over inked paper)
Tim Holtz Lost and Found Paper Stack for angel's dress and hair
Blick Arts dual tip (broad/fine) marker in black
White acrylic paint
old gift card to make white paint lines
lid of tiny jar to make white paint circles
Tim Holtz stamps (flourish in upper left and lower right pages)
Stampin' Up stamps (Fifth Avenue Floral-rose and sentiment)
Puzzle stamp (not sure of brand)
Mod Podge to paste clothing and hair on angel and to paste angel to journal page
Prismacolor colored pencils for face, arms, wings and feet
Stickles in red for lips and irridescent for wings
Book: Mixed Media Girls by Suzi Blu for black and white angel template, coloring/shading instruction, and overall inspiration for both this project and for beginning art journaling! I love her pretty girls, you have to check out her stuff!! Google her art images or go to her gallery on her website
Stampin' Up Whisper White Cardstock for base of angel collage
Tracing paper























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As usual I haven't posted in a while...